Friday, January 25, 2008

Rachel in Event

The other day, Rachel got her contributor's copies of the new issue of Event, which has four of her prose poems about Industrial Revolution Manchester in it (their website has the new cover up, but not the content). Lately, I've been making a point of checking out Event, even when my wife's work--or my own--isn't in it. Under the stewardship of Elizabeth Bachinsky, their poetry section has become pretty interesting. I don't like all the work she takes, of course, but she chooses a broader mix than you get with most committees, and the best stuff she takes is often quite remarkable. Besides Rachel's excellent work in this issue, highlights are Matt Rader's virtuoso adaptation of Rimbaud's "Le Bateau Ivre," "The Ocean Voyager"; Paul Tyler's lexically luscious "In Praise of the Banana Slug; Al Moritz's parabolic "The Butterfly". Also included are seven odd 18-line poems in ABBACC sestets by David Zieroth, a poet I'm surprised to see working in form; I quite like a couple of them. I also like John Donlan's "Lily Pond Margin," a nature poem that transcends mere contemplation of beauty, and some tight little riddles by Elise Partridge. A pretty high score for any magazine--actually worth checking out!

No comments: