Thursday, December 17, 2009

Hat Trick!


I found out about this a while ago, but it's official now: For the third time in five years, yours truly, despite what some deem a loutish insensitivity to the intentions behind poets' work, has won Arc magazine's Critic's Desk Award for best short review, for my review of Don Domanski's selected Earthly Pages. Fellow snarkist Carmine Starnino took the prize for best long review, for his essay on David O'Meara's Noble Gas, Penny Black. The judge this year was the esteemed Russell Brown, U of T prof and literary editor extraordinaire. Carmine and I plan to celebrate by eating a bad poet's liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Erratum: I initially said that Carmine won for his review of Atwood's The Door. As he has pointed out, he actually won for a much more appreciative review. Our celebratory meal plans, however, remain unchanged.

6 comments:

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Congratulations, Zach!

Unknown said...

I won it for my review of David O'Meara's Noble Gas, Penny Black. My Review of Atwood's The Door didn't win me anything except some hate mail.

Megan said...

Well done.

Ian LeTourneau said...

That's great Zach. Congrats. You know, all that hullabaloo about snark claimed it was a new movement, but I'm reading a bio of Wordsworth right now and boy o boy did he ever have some snarky reviews. Most of these reviewers were unnamed, but one of them was Southey. So it seems new in a geologic time scale...

Cheers

Brenda Schmidt said...

Congratulations! And whew, my liver is safe!

Zachariah Wells said...

Thanks, all.

Yes, Ian, our age has nothing on the snark of the 19th century. As Byron put it:

Who killed John Keats?
I, said the Quarterly,
So savage and tartarly,
'twas one of my feats!