Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Anthologized!

I just learned that my poem "Duck, Duck, Goose" from Unsettled will be included in a forthcoming anthology, Open Wide a Wilderness: Canadian Nature Poems, edited by Nancy Holmes and published by Wilfrid Laurier UP.

For those unfamiliar with it, the poem in question can be seen quoted entire in this review (with formatting mistakes; it's supposed to have three tercets). I've always thought of it as an anti-nature-poem poem, so this perhaps bodes well for the anthology on the whole having a little bitter irony to go along with the usual reverence and awe of nature verse. No big surprise if you're familiar with Ms. Holmes' own penchant for ironic humour. Not that reverence and awe are bad things--some of my best friends are reverent and awful!--but they very often come off sounding hollow.

4 comments:

Brenda Schmidt said...

Congratulations! I'll have to check out the anthology. Sounds like it's right up my alley.

John MacDonald said...

ditto! congrats!

GM said...

Hey! We're finally together. They have one of mine in there too. The sad thing is, I'm kind of unsure of the poem's quality.

Unknown said...

Congratulations!