Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Lucky Me

By some extraordinary fluke, I managed to avoid working in the dining car on the way to Winnipeg. Management added two extra jobs on the train, "sanitizing" surfaces in public areas of the train as a prophylactic measure against the spread of infectious illness, and I got to pick one of those jobs. All this, no doubt, because of the death on the train the other day in Northern Ontario--a death not caused by an infectious illness, but management clearly wants to make it clear that the company does all it can to prevent bad things from happening. Which is a-okay with me. My sanitizing partner and I had to do a sweep of the train every two hours, wiping down surfaces with disinfectant. This took about 30 or 40 minutes each time, with each of us doing half the train. Which meant that I had almost enough down-time to read all of All The Pretty Horses--which is a pretty damn good novel. I should only be so lucky on the return voyage!

No comments: