Sunday, October 25, 2009

US vs. UK

Thanks to Josh for the tip on this piece about the differences between US and UK poetry. The focus is largely sociological, which is inevitable. I'm increasingly skeptical about comparisons of this nature--as in my conversation with Molly Peacock on the subject of the supposed difference between US and Canadian poetry. Generalising tends to obscure and elide at least as much as it reveals. Still this seems like a solid and reasonable take on the topic--in large part because its author is conscious of the problem.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I've nominated you in the Culture & Literature category of the Canadian Blog Awards. I hope that's OK. If it's not, let me know and I'll get in touch with the organizers.

Zachariah Wells said...

Thanks, Megan, I'm flattered.